Thursday, July 24, 2008

A different kind of camp




Camp Turning Point is a week long program for at risk youth from four counties in the Pee Dee region of South Carolina. In addition to lectures, gang information, and art lessons the kids participate in an Equine Assisted Learning program. The program challenges students to focus on team work and problem solving. Today the challenge was to figure out how to take a twisted halter, set it right and put it on the horse, they then had to lead the horse around the small arena set up for the camp. For most of these campers the Equine Assisted Learning program was the first opportunity they ever had to handle a horse. I had horses for most of my childhood and I understand the power these animals have to heal the soul. I wish I had better moments, but for as young as these kids are they are hardened some how, I hope the time they spent with Fsbo the horse helped them soften a bit.

No comments: