Saturday, October 25, 2008

Finally...


This year, for the first time in more than 40 years, the state of South Carolina has held a alligator hunting lottery. On September 30th I was spending a very rare morning in the office when Steve Drummond, the owner of 301 called the "photo phone" to tell us about the 12.5 foot alligator they killed. I had met Steve last year when we did a story on 301 donating extra meat to local homeless shelters and half way houses. I knew then that he was ( and still is) an amazing human being. Hard working, dedicated, and giving, just like most of the people I have met here in South Carolina. Long story, made nearly short,  I've spent the last month at the plant witnessing the "processing" of alligators. It has been a truly amazing experience, and for me, the first time I have truly been able to finish a story I started. 
It runs Sunday, 6 photos in print, and a multimedia piece. I can truly say for the first time in my very embryonic career, that I am very proud. Here's one photo of the gang at work that didn't make print, but is in the multimedia piece. 
It feels really good to finish something I started. I'll post the PDF, and slideshow on Sunday. 
I am so very grateful.... 

No comments: